Apr 7, 2023

Bangalore to Delhi Cycle Tour - Jan/Feb 2023 - Part 2

This is Part 2 of the four-part series covering my Bangalore to Delhi cycling tour. In this part, I cover the Nagpur to Khajuraho stretch. 

Check out Part 1Part 3, and Part 4

Day 15 - 09-Feb-2023 - Nagpur to Sakoli

After the three day break, I started early around 5:40 am. The route was mostly flat and I covered the 110 Km at a quick pace to reach Sakoli around 2:00 pm. I stayed at hotel Stay Inn. It is priced reasonably for a small but functional and clean room, and the staff was very helpful. It has an attached restaurant which served good food. 

Sunrise - 06:55 am

Kanhan River

Just saw one small mustard field in Maharashtra

Saw more people cycling here

Nice to see kids cycling to school

Wainganga River

Wainganga River


Forest department


A quaint shop serving flavored milk, lassi, and more

Hotel Manager

Hotel Stay Inn, Sakoli

Small but clean and comfortable room

Day 16 - 10-Feb-2023 - Sakoli to Rajnandgaon, Chhattisgarh

Another short day of riding but had to go through stretches of road construction and few small climbs. Crossed over from Maharashtra to Chhattisgarh today. As I entered Rajnandgaon, I met an Indian Railways employee and he treated me to coconut water. Stayed in a Oyo Rooms hotel within the city. There was a field hockey team staying in the hotel and they were having their fun till late at night so was a bit difficult to sleep. 

Sunrise 06:52 am

Road construction

Road construction

River on the Maharashtra - Chhattisgarh border


Chhipa River

Hotel Royal in Rajnandgaon

Day 17 - 11-Feb-2023 - Rajnandgaon to Simga

Today, I touched the easternmost part of my tour on the outskirts of Chhattisgarh's capital Raipur and turned north from there towards Simga. Earlier in the day I passed through Bhilai, a city with one of the first steel plants in India. On the back roads of Bhilai, while stopping to see if I was on the right track, I forgot that I was cleated and had a fall - fortunately only small scratches on the leg and no damage to the bike. It was very nice passing through the residential areas of Bhilai (called sectors) as the roads were flat and had good tree cover on both sides. 

In Raipur, I met my fellow riders from the Aug-2022 Leh trip. It felt good to be in the company of friends for some time. While waiting for them in a mostly-Sikh residential area, spoke to two elderly locals who enquired about my tour and offered a place to sit and something to eat and drink. 

On reaching Simga, I found that it only has a small rundown place to stay - Bhatia Lodge. Didn't have a choice so took the place but used my sleeping bag on the bed with questionable cleanliness. 

Shivnath River on the outskirts of Durg

Sunrise @ 06:47 am

Bhilai Steel Plant area

Meeting friends from my YHAI Leh trip in Aug-2022

Interesting sight - Railway engine shell transported on a truck

Chhattisgarh had a lot of small lakes like this

Staff at Jio BP petrol bunk got me free lassi & buttermilk

Day 18 - 12-Feb-2023 - Simga to Ratanpur

Left early from Simga as I wanted to get out of the hotel ASAP. Faced hot sun and headwinds in the afternoon and reached Ratanpur by 2:00 pm. After reaching Ratanpur, had to do go through some small lanes to find a good place to stay. Finally, reached Athithi Nivas managed by Devkumar Thawait. He has remodeled his ancestral house to serve as a guest house for piligrims visiting the Mahamaya Devi temple. After freshening up visited the temple and later had a home cooked meal at the guest house. 

Shivnath river between Nandghat and Akoli (crossed same river yesterday too)

Shivnath River

Sunrise @ 06:44 am

Lush green fields

Chandkhuri Rest House (could have been a good place to stay yesterday, however, 32 Km from Simga)

Children making wire mesh fence (before school work)

Completed wire mesh fence rolls

Maniyari River (A tributary of Shivnath river)

Maniyari River

Chhattisgarh High Court, Bilaspur

Nehru Chowk, Bilaspur

Mahamaya Devi Temple, Ratanpur

Water tank next to Mahamaya Devi temple, Ratanpur

Athithi Nivas (Guest House) at Ratanpur



My hosts at Athithi Nivas


Day 19 - 13-Feb-2023 - Ratanpur to Amarkantak

Good day of riding with around 25 Km of uphill climbing from around 320 metres to 1040 metres. The rest of the ride was rolling hills. A truck driver driving a truck carrying raw bananas from Bhusawal to somewhere in Madhya Pradesh stopped his truck and enquired about my tour. He insisted that I take some of the bananas. The bananas didn't ripen in two days so left them with the hotel manager in Amarkantak. Met Chhatisgarh forest officials in the forest. It was good riding through the tree lined roads in the forests. The sun did not affect much but there was still some headwind.

It felt good to reach Amarkantak and I was looking forward to my rest day. Stopped at the first hotel I found and checked in as it felt like a good place with clean room and lots of open space.


Lake at dawn

Sunrise at 06:48 am

Truck driver and helper who offered me bananas


Beautiful tree lined roads

Several small streams like this

Chhattisgarh forest officials a little before Keonchi

Saw many small calfs such as these


Still climbing


Almost there...


Hotel Prince Palace at Amarkantak


Day 20 - 14-Apr-2023 - Rest day at Amarkantak

Spent the morning washing the clothes, getting some office work done, and cleaning/oiling the bike. In the afternoon visited Amarkantak temples.




Shiv Temple



Pataleshwar Temple

Floor of the Pataleshwar temple is at a lower level



Origin of the Narmada River


With Krishna, the hotel manager

Day 21 - 15-Feb-2023 - Amarkantak to Shahdol

Great day meeting people. The ride was still hard as not on the highway, even though around 20 Km of the ride was downhill.
  • Met a farmer who showed me spoilt tractor parts and how they are repairing the tractor. He offered breakfast and chai but I could not accept as I was running late.
  • Met traffic police person Vivekanand Tiwari in Shahdol, who is a YouTuber who talks mostly about traffic safety. He made a video about my travel and published it. It appears that this video went viral, and later on the tour, I would meet people who had seen the video and recognized me. This happened in Jhansi, Gwalior, Agra, Noida, Delhi, and several of my online contacts across the country reached out to me saying they had seen the video. See the video below & direct link.
  • The Zion hotel manager, Yuvraj Singh, is a Physical Education masters student and he took me to meet the Head of the Physical Education Department at his university. Addressed the students and spoke about my travel. Few of them rode my bike to get a feel for it.
  • Later in the evening, spoke to a journalist at Patrika.com about my travel, and this got published.

Sunrise @ 06:59 am


Reminded me of similar structures in the US

With the farmer and others

Jai Hanuman

Beautiful trees


Dhanpuri Open Cast Coal Mine

Coal Mine (didn't go too far in)

Rode with these school kids for some time



With Vivekanand Tiwari


Pandit S. N. Shukla University, Shahdol

Interacting with the students


With the Head of the Department


Article in patrika.com (couldn't find the link to the article)

Day 22 - 16-Feb-2023 - Shahdol to Katni

Long day with bad roads in stretches during the first half. Had a good conversation at lunch with the shop owner and a policeman - it appears that everyone wants things without working, and people want get-rich-quick schemes. Heard similar sentiments from a few more people on this tour. Also met a person who runs an Ashram around 25 Km before Katni. He offered food and stay, but I could not accept as I had to reach Katni to keep up with the schedule. Throughout the day saw trains transporting coal.

Gateway of Mahroai

Imagine how lovely it will be in the rainy season

Sunrise @ 06:48 am

Coal train


Lunchtime conversation folks

Mahanadi River



Hotel Surya @ Katni

Day 23 - 17-Feb-2023 - Katni to Amanganj

A very good day of riding. Met some interesting people. Satish Saxena at morning Dhabha who shared very good knowledge of the local area and general thoughts about how things are going on in the world. Met two teachers near Pawai Waterfall. One of them is teaching electrical to 9-10 standard kids. Vocational training was introduced in MP schools in 2016. Saw vultures in a large group and they were feasting on a dead cow - I had never seen vultures up close, and it was amazing to see how big they are. Unfortunately, I did not get their close-up pictures.

Sunrise @ 07:01 am

Early morning colors







School teachers at Pawai Waterfall

Pawai Waterfall (Also called Silver Moon Falls)

Pawai Waterfall by Sarah Welch, 12-Oct-2022

Vultures

Another school teacher from the same school






Google Maps show no river at this location, but I think it is the Patne River

Amazing show by the birds


Budding YouTubers

Hotel Ram Inn, Amanganj

Day 24 - 18-Feb-2023 - Amanganj to Khajuraho

Another good day of riding, with a few downhill ghats, less headwinds, and riding mostly through Panna National Forest buffer zone. Met couple of young men who have been stock trading for 3 years and seem to be doing in a scientific manner. Met a young man who was traveling through the country without money. Reached Khajuraho around 01:30 pm and checked into Farman's Airbnb home. My brother and parents who had started from Bangalore by car on 11-Feb-2023, arrived a short while later. In the evening we visited the temple and since it was Maha Shivratri, it was a festive atmosphere.

Sunrise at 07:02 am

Neatly kept cycle repair shop 

Watched a couple of women as they colored the floor

Diamond Exploration Camp, Panna

Way to Panna Tiger Reserve 

Young stock traders




Ken River

Ken River


Yes, you can travel without money even in this age

Khajuraho Airport

Maha Shivratri festivities

With my brother and parents

Day 25 - Rest day at Khajuraho

Spent the morning cleaning up and oiling the bike and my mother helped wash my clothes. My rear dynamo light was not working for a few days and with my brother's help we found that the wire was cut at the point where it attached to the light. I could not figure this out earlier as the cut part was within the insulation sheath. Did a temporary wiring to see if the light worked and it did. Took to an electrician and he said he could just solder it. As he turned on the soldering iron, the power went off and he did the same temporary wiring as we had done and just put an insulation tape on top of it. It sustained all the way to Delhi. 

Later we visited the historical temples and did some shopping at Shramdaan - great clothes at very reasonable prices. Shramdaan employs farmers and even prisoners to make their artifacts. For the farmers, it is an additional source of income during the dry months. Each individual clothing item had a tag with the name of the artisan. 










With parents - leaving Khajuraho on the next day (Mon, 20-Feb-2023)

Check out Part 3

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Shashi,

I have really enjoyed reading your blog and watching the videos. As I am not familiar with the place names I followed your route on Goggle maps. Great adventure with interesting people on route. Looking forward to our Himalayan adventure starting 30th July