Mar 31, 2023

Bangalore to Delhi Cycle Tour - Jan/Feb 2023 - Part 1

Having lived in Ghaziabad, UP, in my younger days, I have been thinking of cycling from Bangalore to Delhi for some time. Decided late last year to make this a reality and started planning the tour. In this article, I will attempt to give you a glimpse of my month-long tour via text, pictures, and videos. 

Along with giving a sequential rundown of the tour, I will try to organize the story along different themes. This will allow the reader to consume the content in smaller chunks. This Part 1 provides the tour summary and daily details from Bangalore to Nagpur. The remaining parts will be structured as follows:

The Tour in Numbers

  • Start date: 26-Jan-2023
  • End date: 26-Feb-2023
  • Total days: 32 - riding days (26), rest days (6)
  • Total distance: 2,800 Km
  • Total time: 248 Hours
  • Shortest day: Pattikonda to Mantralayam - 05:30 hours - 71 Km 
  • Longest day: Mantralayam to Mahbubnagar - 14:00 hours - 148 Km
  • Lowest elevation: 156 Metres (On the banks of Yamuna next to the Taj Mahal)
  • Highest elevation: 1130 Metres Amarkantak (MP)
  • Number of states: 10 - Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Maharashtra, Chhatisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Delhi
  • Expenses: INR 48,000 (Stay 31,000, Food & other: 17,000)
  • Stays:
    • Airbnb: 3 - Secunderabad, Nagpur, Khajuraho
    • Friends & Family: 3 - Anantapur, Pattikonda (AP), Faridabad
    • OYO Rooms: 2 - Rajnandgaon (CG), Vrindavan UP
    • Government Guest House: 1 - Datia (MP)
    • Lowest cost: Venkateshwara Lodge, Mahbubnagar (TS) (300)
    • Highest cost: Hotel Parnika Palace, Kamareddy (TS) (2500)
    • Worst: Bhatia Lodge, Simga (CG)

The Route

    Click to view interactive map

    The red markers indicate starting point on each day. On the interactive map, hovering over a red marker will show start time, end time, and total hours on the road. The black markers show fastest, highest, lowest, and finish points. 

    Daily ride details

    Day 1 - 26-Jan-2023 - Bangalore to Bagepalli

    Received a warm send-off from Mantri Tranquil residents and left a little after 7:00 am. Met another cyclist Sanjay and rode with him till Vidhan Soudha and took some pictures. Sanjay accompanied me till Mekhri circle and then headed back home. Took a detour to go to Isha Foundation, Chikkaballapur, and saw the Adiyogi statue from afar. 



    Vidhan Soudha

    With Sanjay at Vidhan Soudha

    Happy to see RO runoff water being collected for use at a Shell Petrol Bunk

    Adiyogi at Isha Foundation

    Day 2 - 27-Jan-2023 - Bagepalli to Anantapur

    Took a detour to visit Puttaparthi. Stayed in Anantapur at my aunt's cousin, Sagar Murthy's home. 

    Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences, Puttaparthi

    Sri Sathya Sai Airport, Puttaparthi

    Puttaparthi Temple

    Bukkapatnam lake fed by Chitravathi river

    A typical resting spot

    With my hosts in Anantapur

    Day 3 - 28-Jan-2023 - Anantapur to Pattikonda

    Shorter but difficult ride day due to the heat; however, the ride was made interesting by these: 
    • Met Sunil Kumar, a Telugu teacher, who recorded a brief interview with me to inspire his students. 
    • Met Prabhakar, a Granite worker, who went out of the way to get me coconut water in a bottle at Gooty as there are minimal services between Gooty and Pattikonda.
    • Three guys on a bike stopped me for a selfie. On asking why they were carrying so many flowers, one of the guys said it was his engagement. He looked too young to be getting married, but he said he was 26.
    • While having sugarcance juice met two guys and a small boy. We got talking and I came to know that the guy is from Bijapur and I told him that I had cycled through Bijapur on my Bangalore to Mumbai tour. He ended up paying for my sugarcane juice. 
    Sagar, whom I stayed with in Anantapur, is a consultant with Rural Development Trust (RDT) and he had arranged for my stay at RDT Field Office in Pattikonda. 

    Gooty Fort

    Prabhakar who got me Coconut water

    With curious school kids

    RDT Field Office, Pattikonda

    My hosts in Pattikonda

    Day 4 - 29-Jan-2023 - Pattikonda to Mantralayam

    A short riding day through beautiful landscapes and happy conversations with people. A person bought me a dozen bananas in Yemiganur and met a person on a spiritual walk from Sholapur to Tirupathi. 



    Cotton plant


    Locals on morning walk





    Person walking from Sholapur to Tirupathi

    Mantralayam Temple

    Sunset on the banks of river Tungabhadra

    Day 5 - 30-Jan-2023 - Mantralayam to Mahbubnagar

    The longest ride (148 Km in 14 hours) on this tour. While there was some cloud cover, the going was tough due to climbs and headwinds. Though I wanted to stop earlier, none of the towns enroute had a lodge where I could stay. A few things that made the day interesting:
    • My first police encounter (not a bad one)
    • Met a salesman who thought I was a foreigner on a bike
    • Had Toddy (Palm Wine)
    • Around 4:30 pm when I was still 30 Km away from Mahbubnagar, a few guys on a bike wanted me to stop to take a selfie. Told them I am running late and I have a lot of distance to cover before it turns dark, hence I could not stop. As I entered outskirts of Mahbubnagar around 7:00 pm, met the same guys and they wanted me to have a drink with them (they were already drunk I think). I accepted the offer but told them that I need to get to a hotel first and they guided me to a lodge in a small lane. I checked in and took 10-15 minutes to quickly freshen up and come down. Looked around, but could not find them anywhere, so ended up having dinner alone.

    Mosque on the outskirts of Yeragera


    Raichur Thermal Power Plant

    Raichur Thermal Power Plant

    Raichur Thermal Power Plant

    First police encounter (Raichur)

    Crossing Krishna River

    Traveling salesman

    Toddy (Palm Wine)

    Day 6 - 31-Jan-2023 - Mahbubnagar to Secunderabad

    Once I got back on the Bangalore - Hyderabad highway, the going was fast. Met Krishna, a Yoga teacher from Mysore. He is on a 2-year walking tour around India and aims to teach Yoga at schools on his way and also spread the message of sustainable living. Once I reached the outskirts of Hyderabad, encountered lots of road construction and traffic that made the going tough. Reached my Airbnb in Secunderabad by early evening. 

    Met my old friends Ram and Nagaraju and had some good time with the. Used the rest day to clean & oil the bike, wash the clothes, and buy breakfast food - bread, peanut butter, jam, and instant coffee. 

    Krishna on his 2-year walk around India

    Telangana State Agricultural University

    Hussain Sagar, Hyderabad

    With Ram and Nagaraju

    Airbnb Secunderabad

    My Airbnb host in Secunderabad

    Day 8 - 02-Feb-2023 - Secunderabad to Kamareddy

    It was a good day of riding after the rest day. Some stretches of the road were under maintenance on one side and both sides of the traffic were directed to the other side. As a cyclist I was able to safely ride on the side under maintenance. 

    Day 9 - 03-Feb-2023 - Kamareddy to Nirmal

    Another good day of riding and talking to folks on the road. 



    First wildlife view




    Ayurvedic doctor from Chikballapur



    River Godavari

    Crossing river Godavari

    Farmers picking produce just after Godavari river (Possibly Ginger)

    Shyam Ghad Fort, Nirmal

    Shyam Ghad Fort, Nirmal

    Shyam Ghad Fort, Nirmal

    Day 10 - 04-Feb-2023 - Nirmal to Pandharkawada

    Started from Nirmal early in the morning just after 5:00 am and within a few minutes realized that I have a few kilometres of ghat climb ahead and that too through a jungle. Reached the top of the climb just as daylight was breaking and had a good view of Nirmal from the top. 

    Met a few guys traveling in an Innova from Kerala to Kathmandu. Crossed Penganga river to enter Maharashtra in the afternoon. 

    Nirmal from top of the Nirmal Mahboob Ghats



    Sunrise selfie

    Selfie with school kids



    Brief rest around 10:30 am

    Devapur forest checkpost


    Crossing Penganga river (Telangana / Maharashtra border)

    Day 11 - 05-Feb-2023 - Pandharkawada to Nagpur

    Good day of riding today. Was very cold in the morning. Maharashtra Police folks stopped to affix reflectors on the cycle. Met an optician on the road in the evening who had seen a 22 year old cycle tourist going in the opposite direction in the morning. He was pretty amazed about seeing two cyclists - one young and one old - on the same day.

    Took three break days from 6th to 8th Feb. Cleaned & oiled the bike, washed clothes, stocked up on breakfast food, and flew to Bangalore to attend a colleague's wedding. Since I stayed in Nagpur at an Airbnb, I could keep the bike safe in the room while away in Bangalore.





    Maharashtra police on road safety campaign - affixed reflectors on the bike



    Crossing Vena River

    Salts from sweat

    Airbnb accommodation in Nagpur

    Check out Part 2.

    4 comments:

    Unexpected Superstar said...

    Congratulation! And Very Happy to see you after so many years in such a wonderful blog which is really motivating.Monika,Your class mate Hindon ,GZB.(blog shared by Vipul Jain)

    Shashi said...

    Thanks, Monika and Vipul. Let's connect sometime. I passed through Hindon and met Himanshu too.

    Mohan Santhanam said...

    Hi, your post on LinkedIn was shared by your ex-colleague from Salesforce - Nandakumar Sankar. I've always been fascinated by cycling - my late father was an ardent cyclist and another major reason being one of my elder cousins who cycled in the early 1980s from IT-BHU to Chennai. So happy to know about your trip and your blog with the interesting pictures plus captions. I look forward to reading all the parts and maybe, join you on a cycling trip in future! :-)

    Shashi said...

    Mohan, thanks for your kind words. Let's talk about cycle touring sometime.